Setup is made to be portable so can be moved to the kitchen sink & electric kettle for sterilisation of the SS tube & stone. Setup is then held in the workshop vice with fermenter under & flow is regulated through the flow meter which is set at 1 for 60 seconds for a 23-litre batch. Hope this helps.
'Twas TidalPete from UptheCoast who caught the all-grain craze, He turned aside the staid XXXX that served him many days.
There you go Scooter. Not too fancy though. Will do the in-line thing one day.
Fantastic, classical TidalPete signature design. I love the simplicity of the 3M clips. Might integrate them into mine.
My planned design is to get 1m of 80mm PVC from bunnings and an 80mm end cap, screw it to the side of my fridge, zip tie the flow meter to the side of it.
I have some spare conduit I was going to mount as well, and put a ball valve on the end for draining, fill it with sanitiser to dip the wand in after oxygenating. With the ball valve I could probably drain it and use it for storage of the wand, put some foam in the top to keep the dust out.
At the moment I just zip tie the flow meter to a clamp on my bench to keep it upright. Pretty busted haha.
I finally sorted mine out, after a quick trip to Bunnings (and getting kicked out the first time as I was trying to take the cylinder in there with me for reference and apparently they don't allow that) and about $15 I set this up.
It's just a 100mm PVC end cap with an angle bracket glued to it with Loctite 406 and then screwed to the fridge.
25mm PVC pipe with valve held to the fridge with 20mm conduit clips.
Simple material strap screwed to the fridge to hold it in place.
The idea behind the ball valve is to be able to fill the conduit with a small amount of sanitiser to clean the wand immediately after oxygenating, and then drain said sanitiser from conduit into bucket or whatever I have handy at the time.
Don't have anything neat at this stage to hold the regulator, so I've just strapped it to the bottle with the material strap.
Post by Lyrebird_Cycles on Aug 10, 2020 18:22:38 GMT 10
FWIW there is a very simple way to sanitise any oxygen fitting: simply fill it with pressurised oxygen, eg flush the system, close the tube then open up the oxygen cylinder. This assumes you have your reg set at about 4 bar gauge*, at anything above 2 bar gauge (3 bar absolute) oxygen is an effective sanitiser.
Post by Lyrebird_Cycles on Aug 11, 2020 8:24:25 GMT 10
Just to be clear I don't rely on the above method as the sole sanitation for the oxygenator.
After a brew I pull the sinter fitting out of the inline oxygenator, check it, clean it if necessary, reassemble the oxygenator then sterilise it in makeshift autoclave. I then store it with the ends closed and fill it with pressurised oxygen. When the wort transfer line is set up the whole thing is CIPed and sanitised, this includes the oxygenator.
Yes that's a little OTT but as I say to the guy who pays the bills, there are two types of brewers, those who are fanatical about cleaning and those with infection problems. I was brought in to clean up the infection problem that cost MBBCo the company, not a lesson I'll ever forget.
Post by Lyrebird_Cycles on Aug 11, 2020 15:37:45 GMT 10
Yes it's pretty difficult to manage unless you are adding at least 0.5l/min of oxygen and you have at least a few metres of line to your fermenter so the oxygen mixes well before it gets there. I can't see it being worth the effort on too small a scale.
Edit: I just went looking for low rate oxygen flowmeters and of course the medical world is full of them. I'm going to get hold of a 0.1 - 1 lpm flowmeter and see how it goes.