My trusty 40L Crown urn started cutting out around 40 mins into the boil. Fortunately I have an over the side 2200w immersion element and finished the boils on that.
So I just bypassed the control box (the thing with the knob and what the sensor from the thermostat goes in, so basically the boil dry protection). So quite simply what I have is an urn with an always-on element. No problems because I would never switch it on when dry.
Worked fine for a couple of brews. Then with my latest brew it cut out again, about 40 mins into the boil. Hmmmm.
When I cleaned it out next day I put in a few litres of water and switched it on.... it works.
Any sparkies on the forum suggest what could be happening? I can't see any scorching or loose ends when I remove the base plate and look at the wiring. In effect it's just a hard wired element that goes on when you plug it in, goes off when you plug it out.
It didn't trip anything, I run it off a power board and everything else worked ok (ferm fridges etc.).
Might be new urn time.
To be is to do (Descartes) To do is to be (Jean Paul Sartre) Do be do be do (Frank Sinatra)
Post by maltjunkie on Dec 28, 2017 20:53:17 GMT 10
Bribie, if you have a chat with the lads up at Craftbrewer, they'll tell you their crown urns are fitted with a higher than standard thermal cut out to help prevent this. It is available as a spare part (as is the element and the thermostat and all not too exy) I'll see if I can track down some of my old links, but I lost a lot in the last computer crash a few years back(hack actually). Otherwise Ross and the boys maybe able to set you in the right direction.